Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil

So I recently found a energy/protein bar that I border line love. I've never liked Powerbars, Cliffbars or anything of that sort. I tried to eat them when I was a psycho cross country runner in high school, but they always tasted like sawdust. Recently I was famished and drained after a Bikram Yoga session and I was wandering the organic section of Hannafords, and I spotted a Kashi GoLean Peanut Butter and Chocolate bar. Since I avoid Reese's, my mind got excited for some peanut butter and chocolate. I opened it up and instantly found a bar that I really like. So does everyone else because the box is empty 50% of the time I go to buy them now.
Well, as you know, I'm a label freak and I was noticing one ingrediant: Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil. That sort of sounded like a cousin to Partially-hydrogenated oil, so I googled and found this really good article on it.

DrWeil.com

Question:

I've noticed an influx of "health" foods containing fractionated palm oil. How is this different from regular palm oil and from palm kernel oil? Is it healthier?

Answer:

Updated on 3/30/2005

You've asked a good question about a rather confusing subject. The African oil palm (Elaeis guineensis) or its American hybrid variety (Elaeis oleifra) is widely cultivated in tropical areas and produces a fleshy fruit from which two oils are extracted: (1) palm oil from the fruit and (2) palm kernel oil from the pit. Both contain a lot of saturated fat, but of the two, palm oil is the healthier, both because it has less saturated fat and because it has high antioxidant activity from a significant content of natural vitamin E (including both tocopherols and tocotrienols). It can also be extracted gently by pressing the pulpy fruit.

Rees Moerman, product engineer at Spectrum Naturals, a California company, which sells high quality expeller-pressed oils, tells me that unlike palm oil, palm kernel oil can't be obtained organically. Instead, the oil must be extracted from the pit with a gasoline-like hydrocarbon solvent. In short, palm kernel oil is a cheap, unhealthy fat, and I recommend avoiding food products containing it.

Fractionation is a further phase of palm oil processing, designed to extract and concentrate specific fatty acid fractions. Fractionated palm oil, as found in food products, has a higher concentration of saturated fat than regular palm oil and is used for the convenience of manufacturers who like its stability and melting characteristics. The healthful aspects of natural palm oil are largely lost in the process. I've noticed that fractionated palm oil is a common ingredient in many power bars sold in health-food stores.

The bottom line is that of all these oils, organic, minimally processed palm oil is the healthiest, followed by conventionally processed palm oil. Palm kernel oil is less healthy still, and fractionated palm oil is the least desirable.

Andrew Weil, M.D.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, bothered by word "fractionated" just found this info. Thank you so much. Sounds as bad as hydrogenated. I, too have become almost obsessed by these Kashi Bars. This gives me clear information of just how un-healthy the so-called Healthy products of "Kashi" really are. Back to my search of a decent tasting bar.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, speaking of decent tasting bars, I recently found one I quite enjoy. It is very low in sugar (1-2 g per serving). It is very high in quality protein (32 g per serving) and low in fat (8 g per serving). It's called Protein 32, and comes in four flavours. The best part about this bar is it can actually be called a meal-replacement bar because it's a substantial size, as opposed to these other bars which I could make disappear in the palm of my hand. The only down side is that there is fractionated palm kernel oil in it, which makes up for 6 of the 8 grams of fat. However, the other ingredients I believe make up for this pitfall. Oh, and I forgot to mention, it tastes really good. I've been craving one all day.

Anonymous said...

I'm fairly frustrated too with all the junk in the "health" and protein bars... we've found some good diy bar recipes online - if you make a big enough batch they last all week and are worth your time.

BTW - Kashi is owned by Kellog's... which when I read that realized why the bars weren't really that good for you.

Anonymous said...

Those low sugar bars are due to sugar alcohols.

Anonymous said...

I'm tired of being lied to by product manufacturers. When the package says 0% Trans fat and the ingrediant list says hydrogenated palm oil, we are supposed to trust them, right? Then there
is: "partially hydrogenated" and "modified" and now "fractionated". I like the idea of making your own energy bars for the longer runs. At least you won't return home with clogged arteries.

Anonymous said...

Palm oil is preferred for popcorn since it imparts little taste and is the best at high temperatures. The consistency is somewhere between lard and paraffin (candle wax). Fractionation makes little sense in this context so it must be for economics. Likewise kernel oil could be processed mechanically but not economically. As a health food (seventh on my ingredient list)this may be as insulting as the cost.

Anonymous said...

My sister has found a great protein bar without any harmful additives. Its called Elevate.
She says it gives her the energy she needs and tastes great. We were just having a discussion because I bought a bar without reading the ingredients and there is fpk oil and palm oil,as well as carrageenan.

Anonymous said...

I went through the same thought process when I found it in a high vitamin and mineral cookie that I bought in a health food store. Thank you for your informative comments. I'm taking the product back tomorrow. If everyone refused to be deceived by buying these products, maybe manufacturers would be forced to find better alternatives.

Anonymous said...

Just Found a brand of Trail Mix that I actually like and read that it has Fractionated Palm Kernal Oil... JUST GREAT! What's with these "healthy" trail mix and health/energy bar manufactures????

Anonymous said...

I began researching this crazy oil bc I believe my son might have an allergy...hives for 3 days. Got into your blog and realized how bad this oil really is. So not surprised if he is in fact allergic. As far as energy bars, I had no idea it was being used til now. My conclusion after today? I will make energy bars from scratch ;)