Saturday, November 26, 2005

I only eat fresh Coleslaw

I was a super picky eater as a kid. I only ate one thing at a time, washed my plate in between and then would have the next part of the meal. I didn't have dressing on salad until my freshman year of college. The first (and last time) I had a BLT was the summer I lived in NYC. That was also my first time eating tomatoes and lettuce on a sandwich. I stopped eating hamburgers about 15 years ago. Swore off all beef, and then for a brief time in college ate steak every chance I got for 10 months. There are a lot more examples of weird eating habits, like the time my roommates and I only ate canned soup for three months. We would go to the store and fill the cart up with Progresso and Campbell's soup. Now the thought of canned soup makes my stomach turn....
I am still a fussy eater. I don't eat meat, and sometimes indulge on Tuna and some other seafood. I don't eat much processed foods, and you would have to strap me down to get me to eat anything with MSG or hydrogenated oils in it.
To the point. I still carry my fear of preprepared salads like potato salad and coleslaw. Once I made them from scratch, I realized how good they could be. I'm not about to go out to the grocery store to buy some pre-made, but I will eat them if myself or someone has cooked them up within the last five hours and there is no bacon.

Coleslaw

12oz white cabbage
1 large carrot
1 onion peeled and chopped fine
3 tbsp fresh parsley
1/4 pint mayo
salt
pepper
paprika

I use the food processor to shred the carrot and cabbage. This is best 2-3 hours after serving.

No comments: