Monday, December 05, 2005

Tofu

I don't have exact measurements for my favorite way to prepare tofu. First I wrap the tofu block in papertowels and press it for at least 20 minutes. Then I put cut the tofu into 1/2 inch cubes and place in a shallow bowl and add the following until the tofu is covered in liquid:
minced fresh ginger
1 clove minced garlic
tamari soy sauce
toasted sesame oil
a bit of hot chili oil
rice vinegar
mirin

I let this marinate for as long as possible, it's good to do ahead and use the next day.
Then to cook, I pour everything into a pan and I let the juices simmer and reduce. The tofu becomes a dark brown color and you can cook until crispy if you want, or until you have a nice syrup. I then use this tofu with an assortment of meals, whether it is with stirfry, or just on the side with some quinoa. I have also made a tempura batter and dipped the marinated tofu into the batter and fried it up. That's a bit more labor intensive.

No comments: