Thursday, October 20, 2005

The BEST peanut sauce EVER!!!!

Udon Noodles and Peanut Sauce.

This has to be one of the best peanut sauces I have EVER had. Seriously. It comes from the book Three Bowl Cookbook by David Scott and Tom Pappas. It was given to me Christmas 2003 by Vivienne, the potter I worked with in England. She was a crazy lady. She loved anything to do with Asian culture by ideal, but when it came to her own kitchen she was a meat and potatoes lady for sure. Despite this irony, she was a lovely lady, and I learned a lot from her about pottery, herbs and the students we worked with.

You need:
450 g of Udon Noodles (I used one pack of frozen noodles from the Asian mrkt)
25 mm of ginger, peeled
4 cloves of garlic, peeled
4-5 jalapeno peppers (less if you are wimp about spice like me)
4 spring onions, cleaned and chopped (I used a leek)
30 g of fresh coriander (I didn't have this)
225 g peanut butter, unsalted (I used a salted organic brand. Ingredients, Salt, Peanuts....none of that hydrogenated oil crap you find in Skippy)
50 ml of rice vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce (I love Braggs or Tamari)
1/2 lime, juiced
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
150 g bean sprouts ( I didn't have any so I used Kale instead)

CookUdon Noodles according to your noodles directions. Place everything but the sprouts (and noodles) in the food processor and Puree. If the sauce seems really think, add water. I then tossed it all (noodles and all) in a wok and tossed it around for a few minutes over medium/high. You could just add the sauce to hot noodes, or cold noodles, depending on your desire.

I also added some tofu that I lightly fried on each side. I imagine if you are a chicken eater, chicken would go well with this meal.

It was a tastebud treat. This recipe serves 4, I was cooking for myself so I reduced it by 1/2....I wish I had more people to feed this to, because it was excellente.

Enjoy!

No comments: