Sunday, October 23, 2005

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

I love Roasted Butternut Squash Soup.

Only one more week of the Portsmouth Farmers Market. This week my friend Megan and I wandered around and decided on two huge Butternut Squashes from Barker's Farm. My house mates are not so keen on turning the heat on, so roasting squash was a great way to add some warmth to my ice box.

First Meg peeled the squash and scooped the seeds out. Then poured some Olive Oil on them and roasted them in the oven at 350 F for 40 minutes (or until tender).
Next we chopped two onions, two garlic cloves and sauteed them in olive oil until they were soft.
I added the roasted squash, poured enough water to cover them, and added a few teaspoons of Better than Bouillion (the vegetable one) and four heaping tablespoons of Organic Brown Sugar. I didn't have powder cinnamon, so I threw a stick in, and sprinkled nutmeg. I let it cook for about 15 minutes, and then I put my new food processor to work. After creating a nice smooth soup, I put the soup back on medium heat (and put the cinnamon stick back in) and added some salt and pepper.

I think the whole process would be a lot easier if you had that wand that you can just stick in the pot and puree everything.

Anyway....this soup was great, and it is vegan. You could saute your onions in butter, and add some milk at the end for a richer soup, but I think it is just as good without.

No comments: