Sunday, November 20, 2005

Ginger Cake

I was going to post my banana bread recipe, but I'm not sure I am ready to release that to the public. Perhaps if someone has a need for it, but in my opinion it is Blue Ribbon stuff.
So instead, I will give you a ginger cake recipe, compliments of Nigel Slater. Nigel ruled my culinary world when I was living in England. He contributed to the Guardian magazine every Sunday, and he always had seasonal recipes. Which worked out wonderfully for me, since I was working magic cooking straight from our community's garden. I have a notebook of cutouts and most are his. This cake was yummy and helped secure my spot as Pennine's best cook. An honor I and my students of Hibernia took pride in. Mark, Claire and Chris and I spent many hours together working peacefully (most times) sometimes preforming miracles.


You will need::::
60 grams butter
125 g golden syrup
100 g plain flour
25 g self raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 heaped tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp mixed spice
100 g caster sugar (unrefined sugar works fine here too)
a pinch of salt
125 ml milk
1 egg beaten


Preheat the oven to 325*F
Thoroughly grease a 9 inch by 5 loaf tin.
Put the butter and golden syrup in a small sauce pan and melt stirring occasionally over a low heat. Remove .
Sift both flours, the soad and spices into a mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar and salt, then add the milk and egg and mix until smooth. Gradually add the butter mixture stirring until mixed well.
Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 50-55 minutes. Allow the cake to cool for five minutes.
You can make syrup for the cake by placing
125 g sugar, 125 ml water and 1 tbsp of finely grated ginger in a small saucepan. Bring it to a boil and simmer in small sauce pan. Spoon the syrup over the hot cake and leave to cool.


ps. I know its in metric system. I'm protesting the Masons and their "we keep the metric system down" sign they have posted in their yard right now. Perhaps if someone can explain this to me I will post my Banana bread recipe :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hy ryan this is lene,

i really like your page!!!
have a nice day!!
right now i laern a lot of padagogic stuff- for the examens in 1 week.
and i like to distract myself by chating around a bit.

so see you!!!
lene